received at Bendigo Flowers is "How do we keep your lovely
flowers alive for as long as possible?”. The experts at
Mitchell Street Florist tell us... "With a little TLC you
can extend the life of your flowers by a number of days."
1) Cut the stems of the flowers with sharp scissors.
2) Remove any bruised or discoloured leaves and petals.
3) Place in a vase with fresh water.
4) Keep the flowers in a cool spot.
5) Add flower food to water.
6) Re-cut stems and change water 2-3 days later.
Boxes/Flower Baskets/ Floral Arrangements
1) Keep in a cool spot.
2) Top up water to floral foam every day.
Obviously flowers are living things and their
lifespan varies however with a little care it is easy to extend
a cut flower's life by several days.
Homemade Flower Preservative
Home mixes can be as effective as commercial preservatives.
Here is an easy-to-make recipe.
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon household bleach
2 teaspoons lemon or lime juice
1 litre lukewarm water